Due to the high magnetic field strength, data is permanently deleted.
Degausser ProDevice ASM120 Basic
To make data deletion truly permanent, it is necessary to use a special device called a degausser (a magnetic furnace) which utilizes advanced demagnetization technology.
It is, therefore, suitable e.g. for sending discs for warranty claims.
Instead of SW data erasing, you will save several hours on one disk.
What is demagnetization?
Demagnetization ensures the permanent erasing of magnetically stored data even from non-functional hard drives and data tapes. These can then be returned to the manufacturer or disposed of environmentally. Demagnetization devices create a strong magnetic field of up to 11,000 gauss, which irrecoverably erases data on the magnetic plates of drives. In addition to erasing all data, the reading/writing drive heads are destroyed, rendering the disk unusable. However, older types of data tapes such as DLT, DDS, audio and videotapes can still be used after demagnetization.
Suitable media for degaussing
Suitable magnetic data degaussing media are 2.5 “and 3.5” hard drives, built-in drives, data tapes: LTO1-LTO5, DLT, SDLT, DDS, DAT, AIT, Travan, SLR, QIC, 3592, 3590E, 3490E, 3480, 9840, 9940, T10K, VHS, floppy disks, audio and video cassettes.
The degausser ProDevice ASM120 Basic meets the standards for safe data removal according to the following regulations:
- PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry) Data Security Standard,
- NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) Guidelines for Media Sanitization,
- NIST SP 800-36, NIST SP 800-88,
- HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act),
- PIPEDA (Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act),
- HMG CESG IS5,
- Journal of Laws as of 2004, No. 100, Item 1024.